Summary of Weekly Press Briefing
Wednesday, 15 March 2023 at 11.00 hours
Department of Information Meeting Room, MFA and via MFA Facebook Live
1. Department of Consular Affairs’ role in assisting and protecting Thai nationals abroad (jointly briefed by Director of Protection of Thai Nationals Abroad Division, Department of Consular Affairs, MFA)
- The Protection of Thai Nationals Abroad Division is responsible for protecting the welfare and interest of Thai nationals who are in distress or face difficulties abroad, such as passports or properties lost; illness or serious accident; death; arrest; imprisonment. The division is also responsible for evacuation of Thai nationals in case of serious disasters or emergency situations and assisting Thai workers including fishermen and victims of forced labors or human trafficking. The number of cases that the RTE/ CG (Royal Thai Embassies/Royal Thai Consulates-General) rendered assistance in 2022 standed at 71,831 cases.
- Role of RTE/ CG in case of Thai nationals’ death abroad
- The RTE/ CG will process the requests by relatives or relevant agencies and will facilitate the return of the body/ash. The loan has been made available for Thai nationals to borrow and pay back to the MFA in accordance with regulations.
- Procedure in case of inhumane working condition
- Thai workers are advised to contact the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour, or an Office of Labour Affairs in that country, as well as the RTE/ CG for assistance. The RTE/ CG will coordinate with relevant agencies in host country, such as the police, to give proper assistance.
- Labour cooperation among Thai agencies and destination countries’ agencies
- MFA and agencies concerned promote working abroad through legal channels, and have consistently sought cooperation to increase workers quota with host countries
- MFA stands ready to assist and protect more than 1.2 million. Thai nationals abroad, with collaboration of relevant agencies in both Thailand and destination countries. To prevent more cases of illegal labourers, Thai nationals who wish to work abroad are advised to look for further information from the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labor, and study relavant information, for example, employment contracts and working conditions All Thai nationals abroad are also advised to download “Thai Consular” application, which contains useful information on consular affairs, including hotline phone numbers of the RTE/ CG.
2. Launching Ceremony of Thailand’s Projects Funded by the Mekong – Lancang Cooperation (MLC) Special Fund (23 March 2023)
- The Mekong Cooperation Unit, MFA, in collaboration with the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Thailand, will hold the Launching Ceremony of Thailand’s Projects Funded by the Mekong – Lancang Cooperation (MLC) Special Fund, to celebrate the MLC Week 2023 at Vites Samosorn, MFA. Those who are interested can watch the ceremony from 09.30 – 11.00 hrs. via MFA’s Facebook Live.
- On this occasion, H.E. Mr. Sarun Charoensuwan, Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs, MFA, and H.E. Mr. Han Zhiqiang, Ambassador of the People's Republic of China to Thailand, as the co-chairs, will give opening remarks. Various governmental institutions, such as Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation; Ministry of Public Health; Ministry of Industry; and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, will also participate in the ceremony to present their projects which have been supported by MLCSF.
3. "Bio-Circular-Green (BCG) Economy: Pathways to Enhanced Partnerships between Thailand and Latin America and the Caribbean" Seminar
- On 24 March 2023, the Dept of American and South Pacific Affairs, in collaboration with the Embassies of the Group of Latin America and the Caribbean (GRULAC) countries in Thailand and relevant agencies, will hold the 3rd Thailand – LAC Seminar Series on “BCG Economy: Pathways to Enhanced Partnerships between Thailand and LAC.” Conducted in English, the Seminar will be held virtually from 08.00 -14.00 hrs. and live streamed via MFA FB Live and Webex.
- Pornpimol Kanchanalak, Advisor to the FM, as well as senior GRULAC diplomatic representatives and key figures from concerned authorities, will join the forum as speakers to exchange views on various topics related to BCG. These include trade and investment policies and entrepreneurial success stories in the region.
- The LAC countries represent 8.2 percent of the global population and 6 percent of the world’s GDP, LAC is known for its resources, young talents, clean energy, medicine, new technologies and innovations, as well as policies and practices that prioritize the environment in line with Thailand’s BCG economic model. In this regard, Thailand and neighbouring countries have paid an increasing attention on the region, especially since the pandemic.
Weekly Press Briefing: https://www.facebook.com/ThaiMFA/videos/5820156111426148/
* * * * *
Department of Information